Urgent recall of potentially deadly hand sanitiser containing banned methanol

A hand sanitiser has been urgently recalled after it was found to contain a highly toxic and banned substance.

Trading Standards has issued a recall of ‘lbcccndc Instant Hand Sanitiser’ as it was found to have 37 per cent of methanol – a toxic substance potentially posing serious risks to the public.

With methanol being on the UK’s list of banned ingredients for hand sanitisers, its presence in the hand gel was branded “unacceptable” by the Food and Drugs Association (FDA).

According to Which?, ingesting or coming into contact with methanol could lead to poisoning, symptoms of which include headaches, blurred vision, nausea and vomiting, loss of coordination and even death.

The product, which bears a bright green logo similar to that of household brand Dettol, was available on eBay and Ali Baba but it has now been taken down.

The FDA states that “methanol is not an acceptable ingredient for hand sanitisers and must not be used due to its toxic effects”.

“FDA’s investigation of methanol in certain hand sanitisers is ongoing. The agency will provide additional information as it becomes available.”

The hand gel, made by a company called Guangzhou Sizhu Network Technology Co., also failed to reach the required levels of ethanol to kill germs.

Hand sanitising products should contain an alcohol volume of at least 60 per cent for them to be effective, the World Health Organization states.

This is backed by Public Health England, which advises to only “u se an alcohol-based hand sanitiser that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.

“This is particularly important after taking public transport.”

Ibcccndc, by contrast, was found to have only seven per cent volume.

A second product, ‘Yucky Hands’, was also recalled by Trading Standards over inadequate levels of alcohol volume in the sanitiser, as it amounted to a mere 42.3 per cent.

Natalie Hitchins, Head of Home Products and Services at Which?, said: “It’s really worrying that hand sanitisers that at best fail to protect and at worst could cause serious harm to someone’s health continue to be found readily available on online marketplaces.”